Thursday 1 March 2018

Two Strokes and More





Two Strokes and More.

I have a whole muddle of things I have been thinking about as the snow swirls around and I’m not able to do much about anything. I’m waiting for oil seals from the LE Club as both the Valiant and the Greenford Police LE have started to leak from behind the generator flywheel. It can only be the front oil seal so I wait the delivery of new seals. When I put the heater on I can work in my garage but the space is limited and putting dabs of primer on the leg-shields to smooth them out a bit more is as much as I can do before the top coat is applied and I’m not sure when that will be. It has to be a bit warmer before that can be done




The visit to Sammy’s has made me think about two strokes not only the Villiers four but the little Tandon that was made in Ludgate Hill London and here is a small list of some of the bikes made in my area over the years. My thanks to Pete for supplying me with this information.

Ascot, Pentonville Road
Austen, Lewisham
Banamoto, Acton also made Cyc-Auto that was Park Royal
Bowden, Greys Inn Road
British Anzani, Hampton Hill
Brown, Great Eastern Street
Butler, Dalston
Calvert, Stoke Newington
Casswell, Great Eastern Street
Castell, Kentish Town
Century, Willsden Junction
Chater Lea, Golden Lane and later Banner Street
Clement, Regents Park
Cyclaid, Raynes Park
Dayton, Shoreditch and later North Acton
Duzmo, Enfield Way
EMC, Perry Vale
Featherstone, Bethnall Green
Gamage, Holborn
Grandex, Grays Inn Road
Grigg, Twickenham



Hack, Hendon
Hazel, Forrest Gate
Iris, Brixham
Ixion, Loughborough Junction
JAP, Totenham
JP, Cheapside
Kerry, Shoreditch



Kuhn, Stockwell
Kyma, Peckham Rye
Lagonda, Staines
Lindsay, Clerkenwell
Little Giant, Uxbridge
Mabon, Clerkenwell Road
Mars, Finchley
Neofold, Battersea Rise
Newman, Tabernacle Street
NYE, Leather Lane
Ogston, Acton
Pheonix, Holloway Road
Pride and Clarke, Stockwell Road
Randall, Wanstead
Rayner, Chancery Lane
Reyre-Newson, Stamford Hill
Silva, Conduit Street
Swallow, Park Lane
Trent, Shepherds Bush
Tyler, Gerrard Street
Vindec, Great Eastern Street
Weller, West Norwood
Whippet, Twickenham
Wilkinson, Acton
Wooler, Park Royal
Young, Waltham
Zenith, East Molesey

Not an exhaustive list but quite a number mostly surviving only a few years in the 1900s.

More up to date is the Villiers Four that look like a collection of 9Es in a Vee. There was a common crankcase that was pressurized by using a Shorrocks supercharger to provide the crankcase pressure, the brainchild of Bernard Hines. The following photos should explain it all.























No comments:

Post a Comment